I cancelled the work on my Camera shake addon for now, because today i discovered that there is no need for it anymore.
By coincidence (working on another effect shot) i found out that there is now an option to place a start and an end frame (including fade-in / fade-out) in the noise modifier of the graph editor.
This new feature renders my camer-shake addon rather useless.
Gosh, Blender’s development pace is still more than incredible….
while working on my volcano shot i was in the need of a light-wrap node inside of Blender.
Unfortunately Blender doesn’t offer a light wrapper by default.
instead you have to create a node-group by yourself to get the desired function.
What does the light-wrap node do?
Light wrapping or sometimes light-spilling is a technique to better integrate foreground part of a shot with the background by blending the color of a defined pixel range
from the background onto your foreground image.
Here is a simple example to show the functionality.
Combined with background, sunflare and vignette:
Although the effect is quite easy to achieve i think it is always convenient to have it at hand.
So i packed it in a .blend file for you to download. I integrated some other useful effects other artists
came up with, like the famous vignette hack and a sunflare nodegroup used by Andrew Price and many others.
DOWNLOAD .blend file
This is a first test of the lava material i created for my volcano project.
After a couple of days without posting, i wanted to give you a quick update.
The last days were quite frustrating, because some of the effects i wanted to show off in my volcano project currently can’t be done
in a proper way in Blender. Mainly due to some limitations in the animation system. especially in the smoke simulator.
According to some infos i got from Jahka regarding the particle system, the smoke simulator currently handles frame as integers,
rather than doing correct subframe sampling. Because of that reason, smoke trails behind fast moving object tend to have gaps in them,
because the subframe position (emission) of the particles are not taken into account.
So if had to change (postpone) my actual volcano project. Instead i will do a 1-shot short version of the project for now.
In this short version there will be a stream of lave passing through the set. For that particular motion i did the following lava-tests.
I know that the Lava is flowing much too fast in this preliminary test, but that’s ok for me, as i wanted quick results in the way the hot and the cold lava behaves.
In the final version the fluid resolution will be much higher (less flickering on the borders) and much slower.
Of course i will add additional secondary effects like smoke, sparks, heat distortion and so on.
Here is a video of the flowing lava:
And some hires stills of the lava without motion blurring:
Yesterday i played around with the smoke simulator in Blender, creating a first version of the pyroclastic cloud above the volcano.
This first version lacks details in the cloud itself and some secondary effects, like i.e. the lava bombs are missing.
but it think this picture gives a good impressions of the direction this is heading:
Currently i’m working on multiple rendering/vfx shots regarding a huge volcano eruption.
This is quite some work. Below you will find some preliminary renderings from the first shot, where the camera rises above the crater, gently looking down into the crater. This is already a quite massive scene as there are at least 100.000.000 (yes that’s right 100 million) polygons in the scene.
The biggest part of the polys is spent by the trees around the crater. Each tree has about 32.000 polygons.
Why such high poly trees, you might ask? Well, i tried the scene with low poly trees, but it’s just not the same. They don’t look realistic enough. Especially not at the resolution of 1280×720!
All renderings and compositing are Blender internal.
But enough babbling, here are the first shots:
And last but not least a clay rendering of the scene:
Got a bit frustrated with my waterfall project, so i took a quick break from it and did a quick and dirty rock scene in blender.
Took about 30 min. to do. Nothing special though, but i think it turned out quite well.
Today i started a new little vfx project. I will try to create a ‘quite’ realistic waterfall in Blender with the help of the
smoke simulator and Miika Hämäläinen’s excellent Dynamic Paint GSOC project.
I will use the smoke simulator to mimic the white squall that occurs when the water falls down, and the Dynamic paint to create the wave-simulation.
I hope i can post some preliminary screenshots today.