Here is a little progress update on my Competition entry. Still faaar from being complete though.
and an initial textured version:
Yesterday i read about Blenderguru’s competition with the topic “living in the slums”.
As i really like the topic and especially the idea that the price for the competition goes to a charity, i thought this would be a good idea
and a welcomed break from my other projects, which are quite frustrating at the moment.
So here is a first clay rendering of the scene i’m modelling. Of course i won’t reveal the final scene until its finished. That would take away the surprise 🙂
I took a couple of days off, now back to work 😉
If all goes well, i think i will be able to show off some new things on wednesday…..
Here comes another quick-tip video for Blender.
This time it is about undistorting real-world footage inside blender’s compositor.
As many of you may know, blender’s brand new camera tracker is able to compensate lens distortion in video footage to track it correctly.
This is all fine and dandy, but after all you still have the distortion in your footage.
Blender’s compositor features a node for simulating lens-distortions. But this node can also be used to compensate or in many cases even eliminate lens distortion.
This short video tells you how…..
while working on my volcano shot i was in the need of a light-wrap node inside of Blender.
Unfortunately Blender doesn’t offer a light wrapper by default.
instead you have to create a node-group by yourself to get the desired function.
What does the light-wrap node do?
Light wrapping or sometimes light-spilling is a technique to better integrate foreground part of a shot with the background by blending the color of a defined pixel range
from the background onto your foreground image.
Here is a simple example to show the functionality.
Combined with background, sunflare and vignette:
Although the effect is quite easy to achieve i think it is always convenient to have it at hand.
So i packed it in a .blend file for you to download. I integrated some other useful effects other artists
came up with, like the famous vignette hack and a sunflare nodegroup used by Andrew Price and many others.
DOWNLOAD .blend file
This is a first test of the lava material i created for my volcano project.
After a couple of days without posting, i wanted to give you a quick update.
The last days were quite frustrating, because some of the effects i wanted to show off in my volcano project currently can’t be done
in a proper way in Blender. Mainly due to some limitations in the animation system. especially in the smoke simulator.
According to some infos i got from Jahka regarding the particle system, the smoke simulator currently handles frame as integers,
rather than doing correct subframe sampling. Because of that reason, smoke trails behind fast moving object tend to have gaps in them,
because the subframe position (emission) of the particles are not taken into account.
So if had to change (postpone) my actual volcano project. Instead i will do a 1-shot short version of the project for now.
In this short version there will be a stream of lave passing through the set. For that particular motion i did the following lava-tests.
I know that the Lava is flowing much too fast in this preliminary test, but that’s ok for me, as i wanted quick results in the way the hot and the cold lava behaves.
In the final version the fluid resolution will be much higher (less flickering on the borders) and much slower.
Of course i will add additional secondary effects like smoke, sparks, heat distortion and so on.
Here is a video of the flowing lava:
And some hires stills of the lava without motion blurring:
A Basic version of the Camera-shake addon is working.
But……. (you know there is always a but 😉 )
Unfortunately we still have no frame_change event available in Python. So the Addon needs to modify the fcurves of the camera.
That is not the way i want this to work. I want the addon to be non-destructive. I want it to work on-the-fly.
So i will have a look at some (rather outdated) patches i found and will see if i can update them to work with the current Blender svn.
(This may take some time as i am not familiar with the Blender code, and i am most probably the slowest C coder in the world 😉 )
But i will keep you updated on the progress……